Allentown Pennsylvania History
The city of Allentown, Pennsylvania, was founded in 1762 and is the second largest city in the state of Pennsylvania and the third largest city in Pennsylvania.
Allentown is known for many things, including its award-winning parking system, historic buildings and history. Today, the city hosts a variety of events, including the annual Pennsylvania State Fair and the Philadelphia International Film Festival. It is also home to Penn State University, Pennsylvania's largest public university. The Phantoms played in Philadelphia before moving to AllentOWN in 2014, and are also one of Pennsylvania's most successful professional sports teams.
They regularly perform at the Bandshells in the city's West Park, as well as at a number of other venues in Allentown and across the state.
The shrine was created by homeland friends in the 1950s and shows the location where the Liberty Bell was hidden and contains an account of their journey to Allentown. It is a well-known landmark in Center City and offers an insight into the history of the city and its history as an important part of Pennsylvania history.
At Old Allentown Cemetery, just across the street from the monument, there is a monument engraved with the Patriots' names.
Located in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, it also includes records, resources and treasures. The region has only recently been defined by its history as home to the Lehigh Valley Transit Company, the first public transportation system in the United States. In 1842, a company bought and combined local routes under the name of Le High Valley Transit, making it possible to travel from Philadelphia to any part of the valley. Allentown had no access to markets outside the city until 1853, when the Lehigh Canal was opened to transport coal from the Allegheny River to Philadelphia and then on to New York City.
The Lehigh and Susquehanna Railroad ordered four locomotives and stations were built at Easton, Allentown and Mauch Chunk. Camp Crane was occupied during World War II as part of the US Army Corps of Engineers and was much larger than most other military camps in nearby cities.
When Lehigh County was founded in 1812, it was separated from the original Northampton County and South Whitehall Township in the center of Le High County was almost established. The township was then divided again in 1815, with South and Easton Township in what was left of North Southampton County, and the rest of the county in the north and south.
The new diocese was formed from the Archdiocese of Philadelphia, which consists of Lehigh County, Northampton County and South Whitehall Township in the north and Easton Township and the rest of North Southampton County in the south.
Lehigh County was founded on March 6, 1812, from the western half of Northampton County, and the name had previously been given to Allentown, which had become a city when it was still part of North Southamptons County and had applied for the county seat in the 19th century. A historical record says that it has been called Allenown since James Allen, William Allen's grandson, gave land to his children, but residents wanted to keep the name "Northampton" after the land became the seat of South Lehigh Township in 1813, making it the County Seat in North Bethlehem County. Allen hoped that North Hampshire Town would displace Easton as the seat of all counties of North Hampshire and become a commercial center. In 1814, however, after a two-year struggle between Allen and his son-in-law, John D. B. Smith, the city was elected the county seat, according to the records.
Although Allentown, the royal city of the Lehigh Valley, prospered during World War II, it faced an uncertain future when lucrative war contracts expired and high-structural steel workers were laid off. Prosperity had come to Allenown in the form of war industries, but all its communities would lose sons to the war.
The Lehigh County Agricultural Society had planned the Great Allentown Fair, but changed its plans in 1917, with the outbreak of World War I.
Allentown is located on the Lehigh River and is part of an area of eastern Pennsylvania known as the Lehigh Valley, which includes Northampton County, Easton County and the rest of western Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania recognized the importance of the region and organized it in 1887 as Northamptonshire County, with Eastons being named county seat. The Allentingown fairground, where the Great Allentingown Fair was held in 1889, and where Le High School is now located. Originally known as Lyric Theater, it is the oldest performing arts center in the United States and one of only a handful of such theaters in North America.
About 40 years later, Ann Penn Allen and her family founded the Allentown Public Library, which is now the oldest public library in the United States and one of only a handful of such theaters in America.